Official Weekly Update Thread

All discussion on the Chapman Track Creator goes here.
TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Official Weekly Update Thread

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Time for another weekly update. I'm afraid I have bad news. Something broke the MFC framework and now the editor glitches and crashes frequently. I think most of the glitches are because of some of the changes I made to the editor, but when testing on a blank app, I noticed that it is also prone to crashing even though it has only the VS-generated code. Here are some of the changes that I've made:
  1. The rendering code is now on the main thread (that shouldn't have broken anything but the framerate is very low).
  2. Rendering DLLs are no longer allowed to manage segment lists, they're all managed by the editor itself (I think this is the main cause of the problems).

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 am

Good luck with that... Sounds luke a lot of work

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 am

No news this week?

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Forgot about this week, sorry. I've been working on splitting the project into two different editors among other things. It's been very difficult to keep the updates weekly.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Tim... It's been long time without news. Are you ok?

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:16 pm

I've been busy and I simply forgot to do the update.

Anyways, progress report time:
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been attempting to modularize the track editor to make it easier for me to reuse the components as needed. And it will be necessary for the project split which I have decided to go through with. I will continue to try to post weekly updates to this project on the weeks that I am working on the editor, but I have been very busy lately and have been forgetting to post updates in my free time.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:06 am

Progress Report:
I have been working on modularizing the track editor. For a little while, I got stuck but have since figured out how I'm going to go about doing this. Nearly every functionality in the track editor will be defined in DLL files. Also, I'm going to be switching to a component-based system similar to what Unity3D runs for their game objects, as that is more flexible than what I was doing.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Progress Report:
This week, I was able to do a test of what is essentially an empty application just to see if the modularized systems would be able to load. So far so good. So now I need to add some functionality to one of the modules so that I can get it to communicate properly with the editor. There are two modules to this editor which at least load. One module is for the scene explorer and the other is for all of the scene objects and the scene manager. It should be pretty simply to move most of the code from the old scene explorer into the new module. Some of it will have to be changed and/or be rebuilt from scratch because of the module.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:26 pm

No updates for a month ...... Project terminated?

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 am

Nope. Just been quite busy with other things. I'll post updates when I can though.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Well ...... ok. Nice to hear from you anyway . Keep up .

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks.

I have decided that for updates that concern both the Chapman Track Creator and Sandbox 2, that I would simply post updates on my blog rather than having to post updates on the forums of both projects. Here is the update.